Monday 9 April 2007

Easter bunny

On friday morning I decided to do my 13 mile run - previously timetabled for Sunday - and discovered something I really should have known - an evening of beer, curry & antihistimines is not a good base for a 13 mile run in the sunshine!!

It was awful. Truly horrid from start to finish.

I set off down the road, and usually I am leaping and bounding and having to slow myself down - today I wasn't. I think part of the problem was that in my head I expected the run to be a breeze - it was 'only' 13 miles after all - but it really wasn't.

So disappointing.

The only compensation was that I actually managed to get round and home and hit an average pace spot on what I was aiming for. A miracle really - but no way could I have gone any further! Very worrying.

After the run, stretch, shower, etc - me & jon loaded up the van and headed off to the New Forest for a couple of nights.

It was great - love that van - very relaxing.

Didn't do much, went for a bit of a cycle (good old Top Bike) and a stroll on Saturday - definately counted as cross-training - sat around a lot, enjoyed the sunshine, read our books, drank some wine........ perfect really :)

On Sunday morning we headed back home - we had visitors arriving, my mum & george, helen & andrew and michael - all coming for a roast dinner and new back garden admiring.

I had time before they arrived to get out for my run - 5 miles at mid-tempo pace. Not too bad, definately felt better than I had on Friday, but still not as sprightly as I have been on past runs - quite hard work. Saying that though, it was REALLY hot and I wonder how much affect taking anti-hayfever drugs is having.
Anyway, I actually did 10km (~6 miles) and was slightly quicker than I needed to be, so it was all fine.

I got home to find the guests had arrived - and Andrew (soon to be brother-in-law) said he wanted to go out for a little run, so I volunteered to cycle round with him, show him the way and use it as a bit of a cool down. We did 3.5 miles - I was on Top Bike, he was running - I was cold when we got back!!

Anyway, the garden & new furniture was admired, there was a good roast dinner on Sunday, too much wine, some drinking games, chips & bread at 11pm and then bed at 2am.



A great weekend, a real mix of stuff - and FANTASTIC weather.

I must admit to hoping that the sunshine doesn't last though (sorry) - or at least disappears for a few hours on 22nd April - running 26.2 miles in the kind of heat we had over the weekend would not be fun!

Less than 2 weeks to go.......... oooer!

No comments: