Sunday 1 April 2007

All downhill (3 weeks to go!)

Friday I ran 8 miles. It was supposed to be at planned marathon pace - but I did it a touch faster.

Not as crazy as usual though because I felt absolutely shattered. My legs felt like bits of wood & every incline was a chore - also it was raining (a lot) and I didn't really feel like running.

Poor old me eh?

Ha.

Not expecting any sympathy as is clearly all self-inflicted - and by all accounts, feeling the strain at this stage of the training programme is pretty normal: it's hard work after all. Also, I think the half marathon last weekend took more out of me than I had appreciated - and that's why my legs are so lifeless.

Anyway, that was in the bag.

Yesterday I cycled to the station (and home later on) - but at only 2 miles each way, I'm not really sure it counts as 'cross training' - but maybe combined with the 5 hours of standing that I did while teaching my OU class, and the walk to/from the tube to the college I might just get away with it :)

Today - the big day - last 20 miler on the plan. Not a great start as I felt tired, legs still knackered, a bit wheezy (am starting to think it might be hay fever) and it was sunshine city. I had a new plan for today - laps of 10, 6.5 and 4.5 miles (I know - that makes 21 miles). My 10 mile lap went reasonably well - I was going a bit fast, and the first couple of miles were a gradual climb straight into the wind ( not nice). By the time I got home though - I was already thinking about stopping! Not good.

The second lap - same 2 miles up hill into the wind, starting to feel really sorry for myself by now - considering turning back and going home. Decided that if I could get to the top of the hill, I would be fine. Got to the top of the hill - enjoyed the downhill that came after it - shuffled back round to the house.

Seriously considered stopping - it was already 16.5 miles after all.

Decided that I would be super disappointed in myself if I did stop - set off for my final lap.

Took decision that a 3.5 mile lap would be fine (and less hilly), although first 2 miles were still a gradual uphill and all the way along I was thinking about stopping & walking - who would know, can the extra couple of miles really make any difference, etc.
I didn't stop though - and having got to the top of the hill (and in reality, it's not really very much in the way of incline - it just felt like it) and being on my way home - I started speeding up!! So much for being knackered.
Kept talking to myself all the way home (if I make it to 30km I will stop and walk, at 30km now - it's too far to walk, if I make it to 31km I'll walk, at 31km now - I'm so close to homeI may as well keep going.....) and was thrilled to clock exactly 32.2km to the front door - 20miles precisely!!

Very happy with that - I felt so tired, and wanted to stop so badly that I think I couldn't possibly feel any worse - and if I can manage 20 miles while feeling like that - hopefully with rested legs and the excitement of race day, I should be OK! Fingers crossed.

Only 3 weeks to go!

No comments: